Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to crossdressing
Thumbs Up 
Hello all, glad to be with you. I'm very new to this but have been curious for a long time. I sure would appreciate any advice you could provide me. I'm 64, a larger person, but excited to learn all I can to live out my dreams of finally being Stephanie. I thank you for your kindness.
Ms Stephanie;
Well, that's a big question.
Certainly this desire, or need, or compulsion we share here gets stronger as we age. Mostly from what I've read somehow we are hard wired to want to appear as a female and as our male hormones go down this grows, but otherwise if you can get used to your dual nature learn to enjoy it.
Personally like so many others I lived with guilt for too many years till I finally self accepted and have since enjoyed being femme so much, that I wished I'd got to this point years and years ago.

I suppose I can put a question back to you, what do you want wear? Do you see women either in pictures or in real life and have that OMG moment I'd love that dress? Maybe it's lingerie, or a mini skirt you want. I certainly look at women, I admire their shape then want to wear the same or a similar outfit.

First I'd say you need to figure out what your size is in women's clothes, which is one big minefield. Looking online at the various sizes and their equivilant in inches will help somewhat, but they will vary quite a bit depending on manufacturer and country of origin. Most know clothes from Asia are a couple of sizes smaller than a US or Canadian made item.

Thrift stores are a great place to buy clothes to experiment with. One trick is to measure your waist and holding the tape in half compare it to your forearm length, so when you go to the store and pick up a skirt you can get a fair idea if it will fit you or not. Also look for clothes with some stretch so that they will fit you better, well hopefully at least.

Then if you are close enough to Janet's, or a similar crossdressing store in a different area you could go in and they can help you, as they are experienced with helping us guys turn ourselves into women. It will take a bit of courage, but the staff there are used to us being shy at first.

Some of are really into a fetish kind of look, others the classy office lady, and I have a good friend who is into the girl next door look, plain, but a bit sexy.

It might take time, and of course some money to figure this out, and heaven knows I've spent (read, wasted) lots of dough on clothes and all the other things which go with it. Like hip/bum pads, breast forms, etc.

If you want PM any time with questions if you don't to post them on the open forum, but the girls here are really great and I certainly don't have all the answers!
Amy
(08-14-2022, 04:04 PM)CanuckGirl Wrote: Ms Stephanie;
  Well, that's a big question.
  Certainly this desire, or need, or compulsion we share here gets stronger as we age. Mostly from what I've read somehow we are hard wired to want to appear as a female and as our male hormones go down this grows, but otherwise if you can get used to your dual nature learn to enjoy it.
Personally like so many others I lived with guilt for too many years till I finally self accepted and have since enjoyed being femme so much, that I wished I'd got to this point years and years ago.

I suppose I can put a question back to you, what do you want wear? Do you see women either in pictures or in real life and have that OMG moment I'd love that dress? Maybe it's lingerie, or a mini skirt you want. I certainly look at women, I admire their shape then want to wear the same or a similar outfit.

First I'd say you need to figure out what your size is in women's clothes, which is one big minefield. Looking online at the various sizes and their equivilant in inches will help somewhat, but they will vary quite a bit depending on manufacturer and country of origin. Most know clothes from Asia are a couple of sizes smaller than a US or Canadian made item.

Thrift stores are a great place to buy clothes to experiment with. One trick is to measure your waist and holding the tape in half compare it to your forearm length, so when you go to the store and pick up a skirt you can get a fair idea if it will fit you or not. Also look for clothes with some stretch so that they will fit you better, well hopefully at least.

Then if you are close enough to Janet's, or a similar crossdressing store in a different area you could go in and they can help you, as they are experienced with helping us guys turn ourselves into women. It will take a bit of courage, but the staff there are used to us being shy at first.

Some of are really into a fetish kind of look, others the classy office lady, and I have a good friend who is into the girl next door look, plain, but a bit sexy.

It might take time, and of course some money to figure this out, and heaven knows I've spent (read, wasted) lots of dough on clothes and all the other things which go with it. Like hip/bum pads, breast forms, etc.

If you want PM any time with questions if you don't to post them on the open forum, but the girls here are really great and I certainly don't have all the answers!
Amy

Thanks for the kind words of support and encouragement. I have always had a desire to dress like a woman but like a lot of people, I grew up in a very conservative area. Even mentioning the words, gay, queer or crossdressing unfairly labeled you as different. I distinctly remember trying on my mother's bra and panties. I felt so alive but had to repress my desire for decades. Now that I am single, I am going to finally be what I consider my true self. I have ordered a few items from Janet's and I will probably visit them next spring. It's true that finding clothes that fit is a challenge but I am up to it. My late wife understood my needs and would help me with makeup, wigs, lingerie. She just wanted me to be happy. I  hope in the future to be able to go where I want dressed as I feel. Thank you Amy so much ?
Yes, like you I started young and gave it up for ages only to rediscover myself later on. You had a great wife, I'm so sorry for your loss.
In those days when we were young it was so different and I used to think I must be the only one like this. Little did I know!!!
Going out femme is a great experience and I hope you can too.
One of the best things for me was finding a local CD/TG (MtF of course) social group. Like the forum here, only we would meet in person a couple of times a month. Those not comfortable could even attend in drab. There are many similar groups so perhaps you could find one near you.
Take Care.
Amy
Welcome to the forum, Amy gave you some great advice. You can also check out some CD friendly social networks, Facebook has a large contingent of local Detroit gurls, Instagram, Flickr, and Fetlife. Lots of ladies, lots of different dressing styles. PM me if you need more guidance.
On Facebook check out #thedetroitgirls
Just an old CD
Hugs, Bernice  Heart
(08-15-2022, 10:59 AM)Bernice Wrote: Welcome to the forum,  Amy gave you some great advice.  You can also check out some CD friendly social networks, Facebook has a large contingent of local Detroit gurls, Instagram, Flickr, and Fetlife.  Lots of ladies, lots of different dressing styles.  PM me if you need more guidance.
On Facebook check out #thedetroitgirls

Thanks Bernice. I will try to find social networks in the Twin Cities. I will definitely check the other sites too. I'm feeling better every day with the support you all share with me. Big hugs!!