Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bathing suit question
Tried on some more bathing suits today. I hope it starts warming up soon!  My party is coming up in a couple of weeks!  I need to get a tan!  Also, I may have a cruise later this summer I may be going on!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-03-2019, 02:25 PM)Suzy Wrote: Tried on some more bathing suits today. I hope it starts warming up soon!  My party is coming up in a couple of weeks!  I need to get a tan!  Also, I may have a cruise later this summer I may be going on!

Suzy dear...as someone who last year had melanoma skin cancer removed from her arm, please spare your skin the tan.   You look beautiful without the tan.  Lather on that SPF 50 and save your skin.  Thank you for listening to me preach from my soapbox.   Sleepy
Heart 
Anne
(05-03-2019, 04:55 PM)Anne Wrote:
(05-03-2019, 02:25 PM)Suzy Wrote: Tried on some more bathing suits today. I hope it starts warming up soon!  My party is coming up in a couple of weeks!  I need to get a tan!  Also, I may have a cruise later this summer I may be going on!

Suzy dear...as someone who last year had melanoma skin cancer removed from her arm, please spare your skin the tan.   You look beautiful without the tan.  Lather on that SPF 50 and save your skin.  Thank you for listening to me preach from my soapbox.   Sleepy

Good point Anne!  Your right!  Thanks
(05-03-2019, 05:01 PM)Suzy Wrote:

The women in my life have sworn by spray tans to reduce that risk. My genes pretty much come from NW Europe, so when I made my first trip to the Atlantic in '77 my friend and I were body surfing in FL until I turned into a lobster by day 2 or 3 (he got to keep going given his Italian heritage and olive toned skin). I found the first bottle of sunscreen I had ever seen with an SPF of...8!
Heart Davina Heart
(05-04-2019, 02:59 AM)Davina Stone Wrote:
(05-03-2019, 05:01 PM)Suzy Wrote:

The women in my life have sworn by spray tans to reduce that risk. My genes pretty much come from NW Europe, so when I made my first trip to the Atlantic in '77 my friend and I were body surfing in FL until I turned into a lobster by day 2 or 3 (he got to keep going given his Italian heritage and olive toned skin). I found the first bottle of sunscreen I had ever seen with an SPF of...8!

Given my Prussian and Irish heritage, I burn pretty easily too.  My cancer scare came early last year.  It was January or February 2018 when I noticed an irregular mottled mass of different colors and irregular shape on my left arm.  I had my annual dermatologist appointment coming up but in hindsight, I should have called to get myself in immediately to have it checked.  I was lucky.  The melanoma was only at stage 0 meaning it was only into the epidermis skin layer.  It was cut out and sent to a lab for confirmation.  I had to have a subsequent surgery to remove surrounding tissue to ensure they got it all.  I was probably like everybody in my younger days.  Little to no sunscreen and we thought we looked great tanning ourselves, little realizing that we were damaging our skin.   Now when I go out into the sun for an extended time (even if it's cloudy), I put Neutrogena Sport Face oil-free sunscreen SPF 70+ on my face and any sunscreen that is SPF 50 on any other exposed areas.  I guess you could technically call me a cancer survivor although I haven't gone through radiation and chemo like others have had so I don't even attempt to wear that as some sort of badge.  I'm just glad I am aware of what skin cancer looks like through self education and awareness and I urge all of you to take care of your skin too.   I urge everyone to see a dermatologist annually.  They are covered by your health insurance just like your primary care doctor (just find one within your network).  I push the dermatologist because they have special lites/goggles that they use to examine your entire body for any suspicious looking skin spots.   Your primary care doctor does not do this although he will (may?) look your skin over.
Heart 
Anne
Actually, growing up in Southern California, I surfed and was in the ocean a lot, sometimes from morning to dusk without any trace of sun screen. I was extremely tanned and fortunately now in my later years have never had any issues with sun related skin issues. Knock on wood!