Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GENDA Celebration NY
Star 
Tomorrow's Transgender Peer Group meeting is being preceded by a GENDA law passage celebration (I will be there!)

GENDA: Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act - adds Transgender and Gender Identity/expression as a protected class under the Human Rights Law in New York State preventing discrimination in housing, workplace and public spaces like stores, shops,  cafes, etc.  Couldn't be a better time for me - law will be in full swing when I (hopefully) reach my trans goals, and be able to be "out" in public! 

Heart Yaaaay!!!! Heart

Also, New York banned " conversion therapy" - the ultra-religious right run facilities that will "convert" homosexuals and transgender people "straight" - doesn't work, and leaves people emotionally/ mentally scarred for life! - THANK GOODNESS for that move!!

TTFN Wink
~ Maria
HeartT.G.I.F. (Thank Goodness I'm Femme!) 

"Loneliness, a constant friend and lover I know well..."
('One Step Closer' by Asia)

Maria, outstanding news. Hey world, in case you all didn't get the memo; we are people too! And 'world', if you can't deal with us, that is your problem, not ours. Go get 'em Maria. Love you, Michelle Heart
GENDA Celebration was great!  Got to meet "Joanne" who was the primary AUTHOR of the GENDA bill (well, she wrote it, but a sitting NY politician had to be the one credited for "crafting" the bill since average citizens can't introduce bills).

As much as this gives protections to Transgender People and Gender Non-Conforming People, I'm sure there will always be loopholes that a-holes will find to discriminate against T-peeps without directly admitting to discrimination.  But, this new law is a step in the right direction.  Better than not having it at all - especially with the "creep" in the White House right now!

Adding a share - Actor, Environmentalist and LGBTQ Activist, Ellen Page was on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" and at the end, she REALLY poured her heart out about how much hatred is targeted towards homosexuals by powerful people (aka, VP Mike Pence).  I was quite moved by her "speech": https://youtu.be/ec12JKkrhOo
~ Maria

Maria, was the "NY politician' any chance a 'man'? If so, it would figure.... Oh well, if that is the process, then I do understand. Must have been exciting to meet the real author. You know, I do have to be truthful here (please don't hate me); I'm torn on the discrimination issue. No one should be overtly discriminated against, for any reason. But at the same time, I do see the point from the other side about a business being able to decline to do business with someone they do not want to. But damn it, both sides should at least be respectful about it. I mean, really, they are adults, and should be able to work through some sort of compromise.

Businesses have signs about 'no shirt, no shoes, no service'. But at the same time you shouldn't be able to put up signs saying 'no this group, or that group'. I don't know, maybe I live in a fantasy land where I keep hoping that people who disagree, can sit down, like adult humans, and work through any issues. Or maybe I've been extremely lucky the few times I have been out, and have been tolerated, accepted, or embraced.

I guess if I walked into a business, and while there, say the manager, or owner, politely and courteously explained to me why he/she would prefer not to do business with them, I guess I could accept that. I mean, I can always spend my money with someone that actually wants my business. And the word would get around that Business X doesn't want to do business with Group Y, and if enough people don't agree with Business X, their business will falter.

But please don't be mad at me. I would be heartbroken to ever know I did something to hurt any of your feelings. You all mean the world to me, and I would back any of you 100%. Love you all, Michelle Heart Heart
Thank you all for your responses - even the "questioning" on the 'powers' of the NY GENDA Law.  This was (from what I understand it) an extension to the Human Rights laws that protect minorities from discrimination, as well as Gays & Lesbians, now Transgender People and Gender Non-Conforming are protected as well.

I can understand how this law could be construed as a way to "force" businesses to do business with Transgender People - kinda like forcing that Southern Baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple, to make the cake "by law".

Although, hopefully attitudes in this country towards LGBTQ, and especially towards the Transgender Community, are changing in this country that will make this GENDA law obsolete someday.

I believe the GENDA Law protections would serve like this:  If I was completely "out" as a Transgender Person, and I go to get an apartment somewhere - even if I have stellar credit, have the first, last month's and security deposit in hand, but the owner refused to rent the apartment to me SOLELY because I was Trans.  Now, what if EVERY apartment complex in the area decided to do that?  I now can't live anywhere?  What if I financed a home, or was keeping my current home, and the whole neighborhood signed a petition, and the town council sided with them to have my home taken away and asked to leave the neighborhood JUST because I'm Transgender?  Maybe I have a good job, I'm a great worker, my job performance is excellent and my Transgender status doesn't affect my performance NOR those that interact with me, but BECAUSE I put on a dress and makeup on my own time, I get FIRED?

THAT is primarily what the GENDA Law protects Transgender People from.  In any of the scenarios that I mentioned above - our society wouldn't tolerate it if the basis for the discrimination was because someone was Black, or Hispanic, or Muslim or Jewish.  The GENDA Law protects us Transgender folks from that same kind of discrimination.

At least, that is MY understanding of it.  There are other protections in there for trans peeps as well (such as a totally feminized Transsexual M2F can't be forced to use the Men's room just because she started life as a Male - kinda balking against the "bathroom law" in North Carolina!)

GENDA Law info on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_Exp...nation_Act

Okay, not trying to inflame a political debate, and my deepest apologies if I have enraged anyone.  I try to stay away from posting my Liberal political views, but I was hoping to illustrate how GENDA could help a person like me in the future.  If, or better yet, WHEN I come out as Transgender, I don't want to be an open target for discrimination.  I WANT a law like this to protect me!
~ Maria

Side note: At a  coffee house in Mt. Kisco NY called "Mimi's" - great non-fat latte, AND gender-neutral restrooms!  Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

~ Maria