Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taken Another Step ('The Loft')
Hey all!  Haven't had a chance to post until now.  Took another step on my journey: I made "first contact" with an LGBTQ organization in the vicinity of where I live.  It's called "The Loft", an LGBTQ Community Center in White Plains, NY at (and I'm still wrapping my head around it) a Methodist Church! (Site: http://www.loftgaycenter.org/)

I wanted desperately to go to this place to check it out!  They have Peer Support Group meetings for all different types - Mens Peer Group (gay men), Lesbian Social Network, 20-Somethings Peer Support Group, yadda-yadda-yadda...  AND they have a Transgender Peer Support Group!

As I said, I was desperate to go there for SOMETHING.  Unfortunately, every time they had the Trans Group meeting, something came up and I couldn't go.  First meeting this month was Sunday, the 6th (didn't see the calendar until around 5pm, meeting started at 4pm and would have been long over with by the time I would have gotten there.)  Next meeting was Saturday, the 12th - couldn't go because I had promised my Cousin I'd go to her 40th Birthday Party in Massachusetts.  Next meeting this month, is Sunday the 20th - lucky me, the Northeast is expected to get slammed with a Wintery Mix storm over the entire weekend.  I'm quite confident that the meeting will be canceled due to inclement weather (and very hazardous road conditions!)

So, on Tuesday night, I went to the Men's Peer Group.  Best I could do, else possibly have to wait until SPRING to go to The Loft for a Trans Peer meeting (at this rate!)  Most there were in their late 40's to 60's, so at least I wasn't with a bunch of "kids".  I didn't say anything at the meeting other than introducing myself (as my Male self).  They seem like a good bunch of guys.  I hope I can be more comfortable and sure of myself with them as time goes on (too many years of suppressing and hiding myself is hard to overcome).  After the meeting, I got to sit and talk with the coordinator and he filled me in on the place - what's available, what I can expect, and what I can potentially get out of it.  I think this could be a good place to go to help me on my journey of discovery and "coming of age" - not only as possibly a gay male (or Bisexual or Bi-Curious), but as a cross-dresser/transvestite - either part-time, or possibly a full-time thing for me.  Future will tell.

I will most definitely be visiting again.  And, if by SOME miracle, this nasty storm darts away and doesn't "slam" us like they're predicting (and thus the Trans Meeting goes on as scheduled), I am DEFINITELY going on Sunday!

Take care, all. Heart
~ Maria
HeartT.G.I.F. (Thank Goodness I'm Femme!) 

"Loneliness, a constant friend and lover I know well..."
('One Step Closer' by Asia)

Oh Maria, that sounds wonderful. You should definitely do it, and join. And if you can even contact them would be good too. There is a support group here in DC that I have joined, but they aren't exactly next door for me to go to as much as I'd like. Personally, any kind of physical interaction is a good thing. Just finding gurls you can just call, text, email, and visit is a huge plus. The visit part is what I think is beneficial. You can get together and chat about clothes, hair, makeup, help each other out, and talk about all sorts of gurl things. And with someone close in age, with similar likes, would be an incredible bonus. Love ya, Michelle Heart
I sure hope you find a strong supportive group. Friends are precious for sure. I wish all the best.

Jen
Jennifer  Heart  
Hi Maria,
Like I mentioned in another post...positive people....that's what you want in your life.  Let us know how it goes for you with future meetings.  Best wishes as you continue your journey.
Heart 
Anne
Looks like mild weather on Saturday (1/26) and The Loft is holding a Transgender Peer Group meeting at 5:30pm!

I am SO going!  The chance to meet with other Trans people in my area has me so excited!   I can't wait!  Heart
~ Maria

Maria, do it. Don't hold back one femtosecond (one quadrillion of a second - it's a real thing). You just walk in there and let your small part of the world see, and know, Maria. And don't look back. You got this in the bag. Love ya, Michelle
6 more hours til the Transgender Peer Support Group Meet tonight!
~ Maria

(01-26-2019, 11:35 AM)LM-Maria Wrote: 6 more hours til the Transgender Peer Support Group Meet tonight!

Hi Maria,

I hope you have a great time.  Please let us know how it goes.
Heart 
Anne
Hey all, finally got my computer spun up and logged in - Post Trans Meeting....

Anyway, as it was with the Mens Peer Group, I basically sat and listened.  I am still a bunch of nerves going to these things so I gave them my birth name, not my femme name (perhaps next time).  It was quite interesting.  Although, this group meeting consisted of mostly transsexuals, and one gender variant, at least I got to meet those that aren't what they were born as.  The topics were pretty heavy and I felt weird trying to interject myself and what I'm going through at this meeting because the conversation was mostly about transitioned people and the problems they have with being referred to as their original gender, instead of their current gender.

Although, I got to speak to one of them (F to M Trans) and he had said that there are cross dressers that do come to the meetings, just none showed at that particular one.  So, I have hope.  I definitely need  to go back down to The Loft some more.  I think this will be the best way for me to move on and continue my journey - perhaps help move things along quicker.

Why walk, when you can ride a bike, right? Wink
~ Maria

Another step forward in the journey.
Heart 
Anne