Janet's Closet Forum
Nail Care Advice - Printable Version

+- Janet's Closet Forum (https://forums.janetscloset.com)
+-- Forum: Questions (https://forums.janetscloset.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Other (https://forums.janetscloset.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Nail Care Advice (/showthread.php?tid=4829)

Pages: 1 2

Nail Care Advice - LM-Maria - 02-14-2019

Okay, even though I've not been doing much to 'feminize' myself because I'm still working my way up to that, I have tried to grow my nails some.  Had them a pretty good length, kept filing them smooth and as straight as I could possibly make them.  Even when I was trying to salt & sand my driveway (after the Hudson Valley Area ice-storm on Tuesday), I had "jammed" my finger and bent back a nail.  It held and I buffed it up and it looked fine.

That is, until today at work.  Went to sit down at my desk, grabbed the desk with my hand to pull myself and the chair in, slipped and felt the "snap" on my index finger - the nail nearly sheared in half!  I was SO disappointed that I broke one of my nails!  Ended up taking my nail clippers into the restroom, and chopped them all down (REALLY sucks because now my fingers look so "stubby" without the long nails - don't like it at all!!)  Time to start over!

Any suggestions on what I should do to try and strengthen them as they grow back?  Want to try to avoid another breakage as best as possible.  Is there a length from the tip of my finger to the edge of the nail  that will still be long, yet not too long to be brittle?

Please post suggestions.

RE: Nail Care Advice - MichelleL - 02-15-2019

Maria, I have the same problem in the winter with dry brittle nails. I keep them nicely filed, and any time i notice the chip, I grab the nail file. I have also become a LOT more conscious of how I pick things up, or use my fingers. Protect the nails; at all costs! I know it isn't the best, but if I do get a crack, I have used liquid super glue to keep the crack from spreading to where I have to cut the nail. It has helped to keep the nail until it grows out enough to file the crack off. Love ya, Michelle   Heart Heart

RE: Nail Care Advice - Anne - 02-15-2019

Omigosh Maria....why would you clip all of them down?   I made the mistake of using a nail to pull open a can top and broke the tip.  I was so mad at myself (learned my lesson not to do that again)….but I only clipped and filed smooth the broken nail.  I have one short nail but at least I have all the other nice nails to look at. Huh

RE: Nail Care Advice - MichelleL - 02-15-2019

Arggg, i did almost the same thing with the thumb on my right hand today. My book bag slipped out of my hand and cracked the nail on my thumb. I favored it all day until I could get home and get some superglue. Of course, if I had been out dressed, I would have had my purse, and I keep some in my purse. Just another reason to stop this male foolishness.... Anyway, superglue on, and with a little luck, it will stay that way while it grows out. Love ya, Michelle Heart Heart

RE: Nail Care Advice - LM-Maria - 02-20-2019

Thanks for all the advice, Sisters.  Oh well, what's done is done.  Working on re-growing.  Anyone have any web article or video links on proper nail shaping/filing/styling to share?  Would like to learn more about making/caring for nice long nails!
Wink

Oh, and a Sister from my TG peer group suggested taking Biotin supplements - good for strengthening nails and hair.  Will try that too!

RE: Nail Care Advice - Anne - 02-24-2019

Hi Maria,
I take a vitamin supplement called Biotin.  I take one 1,000 mcg tablet per day of Biotin.  Biotin is helpful for healthy hair, skin and nail growth.

RE: Nail Care Advice - Cynthia8s - 05-10-2019

I have used products like Onyx Hard as Hoof nail strengthening cream and bee naturals cuticle and nail oil. They both "seem" too help my nails but I have still broken the occasional nail from time to time. I have also switched to a glass nail file. I like it far more that the regular emery board.

Recently I discovered thenailest.com web site. Beautiful pre-painted press-on nails. Not cheap ($14.00 - $45.00 a set) but they are reusable using the double sided silicon adhesive tabs. I have worn the nails for 3 days in a row using the adhesive tabs with no problems or damage to my natural nail bed, and using a orange stick I can remove them and clean off the adhesive tab residue so I can use them again. The adhesive tabs are much better than the double sided tape I have used from other press-on nails.

Just don't but the adhesive tabs from the nailest ($70.00 for 50 sheets), get them from Amazon.($9.99 for 50 sheets)

Not exactly Nail Care advise, but who doesn't like easy beautiful nails?? Smile

RE: Nail Care Advice - Anne - 05-10-2019

(05-10-2019, 12:28 PM)Cynthia8s Wrote: I have used products like Onyx Hard as Hoof nail strengthening cream and bee naturals cuticle and nail oil.  They both "seem" too help my nails but I have still broken the occasional nail from time to time.  I have also switched to a glass nail file.  I like it far more that the regular emery board.

Recently I discovered thenailest.com web site.  Beautiful pre-painted press-on nails.  Not cheap ($14.00 - $45.00 a set) but they are reusable using the double sided silicon adhesive tabs.  I have worn the nails for 3 days in a row using the adhesive tabs with no problems or damage to my natural nail bed, and using a orange stick I can remove them and clean off the adhesive tab residue so I can use them again.  The adhesive tabs are much better than the double sided tape I have used from other press-on nails.

Just don't but the adhesive tabs from the nailest ($70.00 for 50 sheets), get them from Amazon.($9.99 for 50 sheets)

Not exactly Nail Care advise, but who doesn't like easy beautiful nails?? Smile

Cynthia....thanks so much for that.  I am definitely looking into your recommendation on thenailest.com website items.

RE: Nail Care Advice - Davina Stone - 05-11-2019

I'm not sure biotin is that helpful (per my GG SO), but that could vary by individual. My nails are a mess as a side effect of decades of psoriasis, but now that I'm taking a biologic med for that maybe my natural nails will take a turn for the better. For now, it's glue or press-on for me.

What I really wanted to share was a heads up learned by my SO. She had bad thyroid numbers on routine bloodwork, requiring a trip to an endocrinologist. One of the first things he asked was if she took any supplements, like biotin. Turns out it can give you a false reading on the thyroid hormone levels. So at least stop it before doing bloodwork (she just stopped using it altogether).

RE: Nail Care Advice - Anne - 05-11-2019

(05-11-2019, 12:58 AM)Davina Stone Wrote: I'm not sure biotin is that helpful (per my GG SO), but that could vary by individual. My nails are a mess as a side effect of decades of psoriasis, but now that I'm taking a biologic med for that maybe my natural nails will take a turn for the better. For now, it's glue or press-on for me.

What I really wanted to share was a heads up learned by my SO. She had bad thyroid numbers on routine bloodwork, requiring a trip to an endocrinologist. One of the first things he asked was if she took any supplements, like biotin. Turns out it can give you a false reading on the thyroid hormone levels. So at least stop it before doing bloodwork (she just stopped using it altogether).

I'm happy to report that I am not one of those people adversely affected by my taking a tablet of biotin once per day.  The dosage is 1,000 mcg per tablet.  I have been taking the biotin for well over 6 months now and my annual physical bloodwork from November had complete normal #'s.  Yeah for that.  Big Grin Since I have been taking biotin, my nails have become noticeably stronger/better.  My SO is noticing how long they are and commenting that I need to trim them which I don't want to do.  They are not manly looking anymore but definitely womanly looking nails.  But because I am closeted, I tend to hide them from my SO and acquaintances when we are out.  I love how they look and wish I could have them painted up each and every day.