Janet's Closet Forum
Small Southern towns (what's a girl to do?) - Printable Version

+- Janet's Closet Forum (https://forums.janetscloset.com)
+-- Forum: Questions (https://forums.janetscloset.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Other (https://forums.janetscloset.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Small Southern towns (what's a girl to do?) (/showthread.php?tid=4058)

Small Southern towns (what's a girl to do?) - oilbased321 - 09-10-2017

I dress up as a women almost nightly now. And truly enjoy my time as a gurl, (did I spell that right). But I live in a small southern town where it seems like even the openly gay/bi-sexual seem to look down on a person who enjoys dressing up.
There is absolutely no chance at all that I will ever be able to be open about my need to dress as a women without very real risk of being ostracized, ridiculed and lose every friend I have ever known. I know some of you have had to make the choice of hiding your true self and becoming depressed at times. Or going public and hope not everyone you meet will cross the street rather than pass you walking on the same sidewalk. I would like to hear from those who have and have not lived openly as a cross-dresser. I am not a girly girl, and would never pass as female no matter what I do to myself. But I do so want to be able to go out dressed up and not worry about being fired from work. Or have to fight the red-neck, closed minded, and uninformed that always seems to live in such places. If I moved to a larger city, I'm pretty sure it would be the same thing because I am not a pretty women when dressed. I just can't hide my male side.
What's a person to do?

RE: Small Southern towns (what's a girl to do?) - BBWLIZ - 09-24-2019

I tend to go out further from home so im not noticed. I cant go out locally for same reasons.

RE: Small Southern towns (what's a girl to do?) - BBWLIZ - 09-24-2019

Thats something I learn to live with. I could not handle living in the city. I like to hunt and fish I love country life despise that.

RE: Small Southern towns (what's a girl to do?) - Anne - 09-25-2019

(09-24-2019, 04:46 PM)BBWLIZ Wrote: I tend to go out further from home so im not noticed. I cant go out locally for same reasons.

Hi Liz,
I live in the metro Milwaukee area.   I know what you mean.  The more local you are, the greater the chance someone might recognize you.   I like to think I'm passable enough that I wouldn't be noticed but then my voice might give me away.   My rule of thumb is that if it's within 5 miles of my house, I will not go there as Anne.  If it is 5 to 10 miles from my house, I'll go as Anne depending on where it is I am going.  Outside 10 miles from my house and Anne is as free as an uncaged bird.  Big Grin

RE: Small Southern towns (what's a girl to do?) - Jaycee Rice - 12-05-2023

Nestled between rolling hills and magnolia trees, small Southern towns exude a timeless charm. With their quaint main streets adorned by vintage storefronts, each corner tells a story of hospitality and rich cultural heritage. In these towns, Conclusion help often comes in the form of neighbors lending a hand, solidifying the notion that in the South, kindness is a way of life. The slow-paced life here is a testament to the importance of community bonds, where everyone knows each other by name. The warm Southern hospitality is a balm for the soul, and the aroma of homemade pecan pie wafts through the air, inviting all to share in the simple joys of life.

RE: Small Southern towns (what's a girl to do?) - Heather Smith - 12-05-2023

(09-10-2017, 10:58 PM)oilbased321 Wrote: I dress up as a women almost nightly now. And truly enjoy my time as a gurl, (did I spell that right). But I live in a small southern town where it seems like even the openly gay/bi-sexual seem to look down on a person who enjoys dressing up.
There is absolutely no chance at all that I will ever be able to be open about my need to dress as a women without very real risk of being ostracized, ridiculed and lose every friend I have ever known. I know some of you have had to make the choice of hiding your true self and becoming depressed at times. Or going public and hope not everyone you meet will cross the street rather than pass you walking on the same sidewalk. I would like to hear from those who have and have not lived openly as a cross-dresser. I am not a girly girl, and would never pass as female no matter what I do to myself. But I do so want to be able to go out dressed up and not worry about being fired from work. Or have to fight the red-neck, closed minded, and uninformed that always seems to live in such places. If I moved to a larger city, I'm pretty sure it would be the same thing because I am not a pretty women when dressed. I just can't hide my male side.
What's a person to do?
I feel the same alot of the time!  so, I dress when I can.  Heather

RE: Small Southern towns (what's a girl to do?) - doozer2019 - 12-11-2023

I too understand your predicament. I live in a small town. Since I am closeted, I can't just dress all the time. But I have started to dress when I run errands in a near by larger town. Still the chance someone who knows me can see me but I do it anyway.

It is so amazing to do. So far I have received nothing more than stares and odd looks. No one has openly said anything. I am not passable and it's obvious I am a man dressed as a woman.

Recently I had a young girl, probably 19 or 20, tell me to have a nice day ma'am, with a big friendly smile. That made my day. All that said, I still don't dress in my small town. Another time I had a young man tell me I was pretty. I think I might have blushed.

RE: Small Southern towns (what's a girl to do?) - CanuckGirl - 12-11-2023

(12-11-2023, 02:31 PM)doozer2019 Wrote: I too understand your predicament. I live in a small town. Since I am closeted, I can't just dress all the time. But I have started to dress when I run errands in a near by larger town. Still the chance someone who knows me can see me but I do it anyway.

It is so amazing to do. So far I have received nothing more than stares and odd looks. No one has openly said anything. I am not passable and it's obvious I am a man dressed as a woman.

Recently I had a young girl, probably 19 or 20, tell me to have a nice day ma'am,  with a big friendly smile. That made my day. All that said, I still don't dress in my small town. Another time I had a young man tell me I was pretty. I think I might have blushed.

Oh that's so fabulous Taylor! Those little things make my day too.
 Amy